Coworking is a style of working that involves a shared working environment, like an office, with workers coming from different places and industries. Unlike a typical office, these coworkers are usually not employed by the same organization. In this article we are going to present you with a few coworking spaces in Rio de Janeiro.
Coworking spaces are attractive to professionals who normally work in isolation, like freelancers who work at home, for example. Coworking also helps these professionals escape from the distractions of home. For those starting a new business, coworking spaces are recommended because exchanging ideas and experiences with other fellow entrepreneurs are important steps to success. An important benefit of coworking spaces is the flexibility related to the length of contract and access to infrastructure.
If you are starting your business and do not want to invest in a physical space only for your company, you will find that coworking spaces have plans specifically for startups and their needs. If you are working alone or with a small group, meet some of the best coworking spaces in Rio de Janeiro:
The city center area offers a high concentration of coworking spaces. The area is mainly composed of historic and commercial buildings as it is the oldest part of town. It is here, in the old city center that buildings such as the Municipal Theater are located.
Porto Virtual is a modern coworking space which opened in 2014. Close to the Mosteiro de São Bento a popular tourist attraction, Porto Virtual offers the following spaces:
- Three lounge spaces
- Coffee Break area
- Two business rooms, with capacity for four to five people
- Two meeting rooms, with capacity for four to ten people
- Coworking space with capacity for up to 12 people
Porto Virtual also offers consultancy services for tax and legal matters relating to the opening and maintenance of companies.
The coworking space is opened on work days from 8:30 AM to 7:30 PM and prices start at BRL 35 per hour, per hot desk.
With easy access to the Santos Dumont airport, EDX Coworking offers space with capacity for up to 14 people, a meeting room with capacity for up to 12 people and a training room for up to 14 people. The plans offered are:
- EDX Day - BRL 65 per day
- EDX 24 - BRL 179 per 24h in a month
- EDX 40 - BRL 319 per 40h in a month
- EDX 48 - BRL 379 per 48h in a month
- EDX 80 - BRL 419 per 80h in a month
- EDX 120 - BRL 549 per 120h in a month
Nittis Office has space of 80m² and offers 25 hot desks in two coworking rooms. Plans for the use of the coworking spaces start at BRL 189 for 24h per month up to BRL 769 for unlimited hours, with the right to 8h in a meeting room per month.
Goma is a different coworking space, with its efforts focused on social entrepreneurship. Located downtown, in an old reformed house, Goma offers three different types of plan for the use of the space:
- Residente - BRL 645 per month, with access to the coworking space 24/7 without limits and with access to meeting rooms
- Rolezinhos - BRL 400 per month, with access to the coworking space for 24h up to 10 days per month and access to meeting rooms
- Amigomas - BRL 65 per day, with no access to meeting rooms
There are five main coworking spaces in the West Region of Rio de Janeiro. This region’s most popular neighbourhood is Barra da Tijuca, known for being home to Rio’s upmarket citizens.
Located in Barra da Tijuca, My Office is available 24/7 and offers a coworking space for almost 40 people, with meeting and training rooms available for scheduling. The plan of 20 hours per month costs BRL 226, the plan of 50 hours per month costs BRL 516 and the plan with 100 hours per month costs BRL 887. Plans for unlimited hours range from BRL 1 300 to 1 600 per month.
They also offer a virtual office service, which costs BRL 264 for individuals and other larger private spaces available to rent for companies.
WeCompany is located in a 160m² space inside the Downtown shopping mall, in Barra da Tijuca. Open on work days from 9 AM to 9 PM, plans for one day cost BRL 80, while plans for 6 months cost BRL 850 per month. There are also weekly and monthly plans available.
Plans for the use of meeting rooms, that have a capacity for up to ten people, cost BRL 90 per hour and BRL 700 for a monthly plan of 10 hours. The virtual office service costs BRL 250 and the service of commercial address costs BRL 150.
Barra Cowork is a coworking space located in Barra da Tijuca and offers a monthly plan, as well as a daily rate. While the monthly plan allows coworkers to work at any time during the day or night, and costs between BRL 690 and BRL 890, the day rate of BRL 89, can only be utilized between 9 AM and 7 PM. Barra Cowork also offers a meeting room and an auditorium for more than 70 people.
Regus is a coworking space present in more than 100 countries around the world. The company offers different plans of services, which may give access to coworking spaces in different cities, or even in different countries. In Rio de Janeiro, there are eight Regus coworking spaces, mainly Downtown but also in the Southern Region. There are plans for the use of coworking rooms from BRL 49 per month, hot desks at BRL 29,50 per hour and full offices from BRL 49,50 per hour.
In the middle of Barra da Tijuca’s neighbourhood, O2 Offices are a complex of offices, dining area and gym. O2 Offices offers the service of virtual office from BRL 99 per month, exclusive meeting rooms from BRL 495 for four hours per week and a plan for the use of a coworking space with capacity for four people from BRL 695 per person per month. The coworking space is open for use on business days from 9 AM to 5 PM.
There are six main coworking spaces in the South Region of Rio de Janeiro. This region is known worldwide for its tourist attractions such as Corcovado and Pão de Açucar, as well as the most famous beaches in Rio de Janeiro: Ipanema and Copacabana.
Located in a colonial mansion, the Collective coworking space draws attention because of the gardens, swimming pools and kitchens that are available for all who work there. There are two different plans for those wanting to use Collective’s space:
- Flex plan, in the coworking room, at BRL 900 per month
- Room plan, in a private room with up to five working stations, at BRL 4 800 per month
BC Office is located in the neighbourhood of São Gonçalo and offers the following plans for the use of its space:
- BC 1 - at BRL 94 per month, it is possible to use the coworking spaces for 10 hours per month, and to print 10 sheets
- BC 2 - at BRL 288 per month, coworkers are allowed 40 hours per month, 40 prints and five hours use of the meeting room
- BC 3 - at BRL 432 per month, it is possible for coworkers to use the coworking spaces for 70 hours per month, 70 prints, 10 hours in the meeting room and right to use its lockers, commercial address and disclosure by BC Office
- BC 4 - at BRL 605 per month, unlimited working hours, with right to a fixed hot desk, 160 prints, lockers, commercial address, disclosure by BC Office and 25 hours in the meeting room
Space Coworking is located in a old reformed house in the neighbourhood of Botafogo, between Corcovado and Pão de Açucar. Space Coworking offers 10 rooms with capacity ranging from three to 15 people, and prices ranging from BRL 1 963 to BRL 5 900 per month. There is also a meeting room, with capacity for eight people, with a price of BRL 110 per hour up to BRL 620 for eight hours.
Tribo Coworking is one block away from Copacabana beach and offers 23 hot desks in its coworking space. Open from 9 AM to 7 PM, Tribo Coworking is also open for workshops, lectures and courses on weekdays from 7 PM to 10 PM and on Saturdays from 8 AM to 6 PM. There are several plans for using Tribo Coworking’s space:
- Monthly fee of BRL 750 per month for unlimited use of coworking space and 44 hours in the meeting room, as well as the service of commercial address
- Tribo 110 horas - at BRL 440 per month, for 110 hours of use of the coworking space, with the possibility of 11 hours being used in the meeting room
- Tribo 50 horas - at BRL 235 per month, for 50 hours of use of the coworking space, with the possibility of 5 hours being used in the meeting room
- Daily rate of BRL 70
- Tribo Matinal - at BRL 299 per month, it is possible to use the coworking space from 9 AM to 1 PM every working day, with the possibility of 9 hours being used in the meeting room
- Tribo da Tarde - at BRL 499 per month, it is possible to use the coworking space from 1 PM to 7 PM every working day, with the possibility of 13 hours being used in the meeting room
Located at the neighbourhood of Flamengo, Cluster Rio offers total support in a coworking space with capacity of up to 36 hot desks. Besides the coworking space, there are also private rooms for six people and meeting rooms with capacity for four to eight people.
Near Ipanema and Copacabana beaches, the Doca coworking space offers 76 fixed workstations across 330m², with 24 more flexible workstations, as well as nine private rooms. The different plans for using Doca’s space are:
- BRL 750 per month, for working at the flexible workstations, from 9 AM to 7 PM
- BRL 850 per month, for working at a fixed workstations, with no hour limitations
- From BRL 700 per workstation per month, for working in a private room, with no hour limitations