According to the Brazilian Statistic Institute (Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística) was there 1.8 Million Brazilian without a registered job in September 2008, this is equal to 7.6% of the workforce.
This is 13.2% lower then September 2007.
Among the unemployed group the data show that:
- 19.0% were searching for their first job
- 25.8% were the main responsible in the family
In relation to the time of job search:
- 23.9% were searching a job for a period below 30 days
- 49.1%, for a period from 31 days to 6 months
- 10.9%, for a period from 7 to 11 months
- 16.2%, for a period of at least 1 year
The data are estimated based on a Monthly Employment Survey in six areas of Brazil. This is a different approach then what you will find in many other countries were the data are based on numbers from central employment registers.