For products to be imported into Brazil, it might be necessary to get an import license, which may be automatic or non-automatic. Learn in this article when these documents are required.
Most import operations in Brazil are exempt from licensing, but, when the license is needed, it is more common to get an automatic one. Usually, it is enough for the importer to simply register a DI or Declaração de Importação, the Import Declaration, at SISCOMEX for each operation. However, for some products, it is necessary to obtain an automatic or non-automatic import license, called LI or Licença de Importação. All import operations require a RADAR.
The import license is a document that contains information about the goods that will be imported and the import operation in general, as well as information about the importer, exporter, country of origin, tax regime, currency exchange, and others. Penalties may be applied in case of lack of license or if the import license was requested after the shipment, when it should have been requested before.
How to Obtain a License
When an import operation requires a license, the importer has to provide some information to SISCOMEX, before the goods are shipped. Some of this information includes the identification of both importers and exporters, the country of origin of the goods, the goods' classification according to NCM, detailed descriptions of the goods, tax regime for the import duty, characterization of the operation, among other additional information about the licensing and the goods.
It is possible to check the procedures and necessary documents to obtain an import license in this article.
Automatic licenses are granted to most imports into Brazil, and can be requested at SISCOMEX after the shipment of goods abroad, but before the customs clearance. They are the most commonly issued licenses.
Non-automatic licenses are necessary for products that require approval from one or more out of the following authorities, which are mainly ministries or agencies:
- ANCINE or Agência Nacional do Cinema, the national film agency.
- ANATEL or Agência Nacional de Telecomunicações, the national agency of telecommunications.
- ANEEL or Agência Nacional de Energia Elétrica, the national agency of electric energy.
- ANP or Agência Nacional do Petróleo, Gás Natural e Biocombustíveis, which is the national agency of oil, natural gas, and biofuel.
- ANVISA or Agência Nacional de Vigilância Sanitária, the National Health Surveillance Agency.
- Brazilian Army.
- CNEN or Comissão Nacional de Energia Nuclear, the national commission on nuclear energy.
- CNPq or Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico, the national council of scientific and technological development.
- DECEX or Departamento de Operações de Comércio Exterior, the department of operations of foreign trade.
- DNPM or Departamento Nacional de Produção Mineral, the national department of mineral production.
- EBCT or Empresa Brasileira de Correios e Telégrafos, or simply Correios, which is the post office.
- INMETRO or Instituto Nacional de Metrologia, Normalização e Qualidade Industrial, the national institute of metrology, normalization and industrial quality.
- MAPA or Ministério da Agricultura, Pecuária e Abastecimento, the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Supply.
- MCT or Ministério da Ciência e Tecnologia, which is the ministry of science and technology.
- SUFRAMA or Superintendência da Zona Franca de Manaus, the Manaus Free Trade Zone Superintendence.
These licenses usually need to be requested at SISCOMEX before the shipment. However, in the following cases, they can be obtained after the shipment of the goods, but prior to the customs clearance:
- Import regarding the benefits of Manaus Free Trade Zone and the other trade zones, except when the product requires a non-automatic import license.
- Imports that need the approval of CNPq.
- Import of toys.
- Goods that entered the country through the customs regime warehouse or industrial warehouse.
- Import of goods subjected to the approval of ANP, MAPA, and ANVISA, if this is the case.
- Shipment in cases of nationalization of cargo units, their equipment and accessories, used, as long as they are in rigid containers.
If the non-automatic license is related to the import of goods that were subjected to the approval of ANP, MAPA, and ANVISA, the license of these entities must be issued prior to the shipment of the products abroad.